Five Precepts of the Church
The obligatory character of these positive laws decreed by the Church is meant to guarantee to the faithful the very necessary minimum in the spirit of prayer and moral effort, in the growth in love of God and neighbor.
Catechism of the Catholic Church, 2041
1. "You shall attend Mass on Sundays and on holy days of obligation and rest from servile labor."
The first precept requires the faithful to sanctify the day commemorating the Resurrection of the Lord as well as the principal liturgical feasts honoring the mysteries of the Lord, the Blessed Virgin Mary, and the saints, by participating in the Eucharistic and by resting from those works and activities which could impede such a sanctification of these days.
2. "You shall confess your sins at least once a year."
The second precept ensures preparation for the Eucharist by the reception of the sacrament of reconciliation, which continues Baptism's work of conversion and forgiveness.
3. "You shall receive the sacrament of the Eucharist at least during the Easter season."
The third precept guarantees as a minimum the reception of the Lord's Body and Blood in connection with the Paschal feasts, the origin and center of the Christian liturgy.
4. "You shall observe the prescribed days of fasting and abstinence established by the Church."
The fourth precept ensures the times of ascesis and penance which prepare us for the liturgical feasts and help us acquire mastery over our instincts and freedom of heart.
5. "You shall help to provide for the needs of the Church, each according to his own ability."
The fifth precept means that the faithful are obliged to assist with the material needs of the Church, each according to his own ability.
I am the LORD your God:
you shall not have strange
Gods before me
You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain
Remember to keep holy
the LORD'S Day
Honor your father and
You shall not kill
You shall not commit adultery
You shall not steal
You shall not bear false witness against your neighbour
You shall not covet your neighbour's wife
You shall not covet your neighbour's goods